If you look at commercial buildings, you might notice a bright white roof. That roof is a TPO roof which is one of the most common roof types in big commercial facilities. The growing demand in commercial construction for more energy-efficient roofing systems helps reduce costs and has a better impact on our environment. A TPO roof is a single-ply roofing membrane and is the fastest-growing commercial roofing system on the market. It is an excellent choice for commercial construction projects because of cost efficiency and durability. The roofing membrane is resistant to chemical, punctures, and grease.
Installation of TPO roofs should be done by a professional roofing contractor. This is not something that you should try to do on your own for safety reasons. Every reputable commercial roofing contractor has the knowledge and all equipment necessary to do the job and avoid any complications. TPO roofing can be installed directly over an existing roof, or it can be applied to a bare roof deck after new rigid insulation is installed. Because the roofing membrane is lightweight, the installation is less difficult compared to other roofing systems. The sheets are also wider which means fewer seams require attention.
There are 3 different methods how TPO roof can be installed:
- Mechanically attached – the membrane is secured to the roof using individual fasteners. This option is less expensive and can be installed in low temperatures since there is no adhesives.
- Fully Adhered – adhesive is used to hold the membrane in place. It is the most expensive option and the system is fully bonded to the substrate.
- RhinoBonded – the membrane is secured to the resin treated 3-inch metal plates that hold the new insulation in place. The underside of the membrane is electromagnetically fastened to plates providing a hybrid attachment system with superior wind uplift values.
The method used for your roof will depend on your project because every commercial roofing job is different. Since you should never decide and choose a method for your commercial building yourself, it is very important to speak with professional TPO contractor to ensure that best approach is being used on your commercial roof.
Using a recovery board provides a protective covering and in some cases insulation to help reinforce and strengthen any roof. Even if the roof is aged significantly or has sustained damage from weather and accidents over the yeas, roofing recovery board can help restore it to a usable state once more.
Before your contractor starts installing a TPO roof, the existing substrate is prepared by cleaning or removing existing roof. Once that is done, the insulation is installed. There are three types of insulation options to choose from:
- Polyisocyanurate – this is one of the most popular insulation types used. Lightweight with a higher R-value.
- EPS or Expanded Polystyrene – Inexpensive with a good R-value. Cannot be used in adhered roof systems.
- Extruded Polystyrene –The cost and performance are in between the Polyiso and EPS.
Now that you have a better understanding on TPO roof installations, you can contact MJT Roofing for all your New Jersey commercial roofing needs. We take each job very seriously and encourage you to contact us today. When you choose a new roof, it is also very important to choose best New Jersey roofing contractor who specializes in installing TPO roofs. MJT Roofing is one of them and our team of professionals are ready to take on another project!